An interdental brush is a small brush designed for holding between the thumb and fingers. It comes in a variety of sizes and you can select the size to suit your needs. It may be recommended if you require different sized brushes to properly clean spaces in your smile.
Why is it important to clean tooth gaps?
Food and other debris can become lodged between the teeth and any gaps in the mouth during a typical day. If this is not removed it can lead to tooth decay and even gum disease. Using an interdental brush to clean the tooth spaces will help your breath stay fresh.
Should this be used instead of an ordinary toothbrush?
These brushes are not designed to replace your ordinary toothbrush and should simply be incorporated into your regular dental hygiene routine. A standard toothbrush can struggle to reach certain areas in the mouth and can also make it difficult cleaning between tooth gaps.
How does an interdental brush work?
The tiny bristles and small bottle-like head remove any plaque and food debris unable to be reached by your standard toothbrush.
How do I use the brush?
- The first thing you will need to do is choose the correct sized brush.
- It is important not to force it between tooth gaps.
- To get between your front teeth a finer brush should be used.
- A twisting motion will ease your brush securely between the teeth.
- You should then gently pull the brush to remove it, dislodging any food debris and plaque in the process.
- This should be repeated several times by re-inserting and pulling the brush out until you feel the space between the teeth is sufficiently clean.
- A brush with a larger head will need to be used for bigger spaces towards the rear of the mouth.
- The best method is to shape the head of the brush into a curve, allowing you to find and clean the space properly.
- The brush should be rinsed following this process and can be used again.
When should it be used?
Interdental cleaning does not necessarily need to be done in the bathroom. It does not even need to be done at the same time as brushing with your normal brush. It can be done anywhere, and at any time.